Two appeals at the Tripoli Court of Appeal had been lodged against the presidential candidacy of the current Prime Minister and presidential candidate, Abdul-Hamid Dbeibah: one has been accepted and Dbeibah, thus, has been disqualified, court sources have revealed.
The Court of Appeals in Tripoli accepted the motion against Dbeibah presented by fellow presidential candidate and ex-Minister of Interior Fathi Bashagha, who used in the document of appeal different violations he said Dbeibah was making in his candidacy to the head of Libyan state race.
The main argument was that Dbeibah had not complied with Article 12 of election law that says a public post holder must have quit their jobs three months before December 24. Another one is that Dbeibah is a byproduct of Libyan Political Dialogue Forum’s (LPDF) roadmap that entitles him to lead the country to December 24 elections, not to take part in it, saying Dbeibah had signed written oaths vowing not to run for elections to the UNSMIL, LPDF and the Libyan people.
The appeal by Bashagha says that Dbeibah also announced in public his rejection to the non-confidence vote of his government by the House of Representatives on September 20 and continued business as usual, in addition to forming an election support committee that was tasked to inform him of the electoral process, which Bashagha said was against the law.
On Tuesday, the Court of Appeals is supposed to look into the second appeal against Debeibah field by presidential candidates Aref Al-Nayed, Othman Abdeljalil, Mohammed Al-Muntasser, and Libyan Political Dialogue Forum’s members Ahmed Al-Sharkasi and Al-Saida Al-Yakoubi.
Dbeibah can appeal the decision of the court and must file a motion in three days starting November 28. The court ruling will be issued three days after the day of Dbeibah’s appeal, if he filed one.