News

Clashes reported on some Tripoli frontlines, uneasy calm on others

The commander of Ain Zara frontline Yousif Al-Ameen has confirmed that their forces are still in position as their artillery shelling targets Khalifa Haftar’s militias and mercenaries on the frontline.

Meanwhile, the commander of Sirte-Jufra operations room Ibrahim Baytalmal said they had responded to attacks from Haftar’s militias in the vicinity of Al-Wishka on Wednesday, targeting several militaty vehicles and positions.

Baytalmal added that their forces in the vicinity of Al-Wishka had carried out two drone strikes on positions of Haftar’s militias in the area.

Meanwhile, the Libyan Army spokesman Mohammed Gununu said they had launched Operation Peace Storm to respond to the attacks on civilians by Haftar’s militias.

The Head of the Libyan Presidential Council Fayez Al-Sarraj said Wednesday that the Operation Peace Storm had been launched to respond to the violations of the terrorist militias and mercenaries of Khalifa Haftar.

In a statement, Al-Sarraj said his government is a legitimate body that respects international community’s efforts in Libya, adding that the GNA is firstly committed to protect the Libyan people against the ongoing aggression.

He also said that the systematic attacks on civilian neighborhoods in Tripoli didn’t stop despite the announcement of a humanitarian halt of hostilities, thus causing casualties among civilians, including women and children.

Al-Sarraj said his government forces will respond mercilessly to the aggression and won’t sit idly by to watch the repeated terrorist attacks on civilians.

Tags
Back to top button
Close