The senior commander at the field operations room of Sirte-Jufra, Mustafa Al-Samo, said frontlines in western Sirte had been seeing some skirmishes and an exchange of artillery shelling with Khalifa Haftar’s militias without any reported casualties.
Al-Samo told Libya Alahrar TV on Wednesday that GNA forces had reinforced its positions in and around Abu Grein after military backup arrived in the area.
Another senior leader, Ahmed Al-Ayash, said Haftar’s militias had suffered huge losses in fighters and equipment, in addition to destroying several military vehicles and ammunition depots in Al-Wishka and in the vicinity of Sirte.
Libya’s Burkan Al-Ghadab Operation forces have held on to their positions in Abu Grein and seized other ones from Haftar’s militias, who violated the ceasefire last Sunday by attacking the GNA forces in the area attempting to seize control and grab more land.
Meanwhile, the spokesman for the Libyan Army under the command of the GNA Mohammed Gununu described Khalifa Haftar and his militias as oathbreakers after they had carried out attacks on Abu Grein town with foreign aircraft cover.
While, the United Nations Support Mission (UNSMIL) condemned in the strongest possible terms the attack on Tripoli’s Mitiga Airport by two grad missiles, which resulted in the injury of at least two civilians, and damage to the tarmac of the runway and a number of buildings including private and public property on Sunday.