News

Haftar’s militias violate ceasefire in southern Tripoli – once again

The field commander at Al-Khallatat forntline in southern Tripoli, Alaa Nasser, said Khalifa Haftar’s militias had violated the ceasefire on Thursday by opening fire on their forces and trying to infiltrate into the frontline.

Nasser told Libya Alahrar TV that Burkan Al-Ghadab forces had repelled an attempt by Haftar’s militias to advance on Al-Khallatat frontline using light and medium weapons.

Haftar’s militias had been breaching the ceasefire since it started on January 12, leading to many escalations such as the killing of one person on the first day of the ceasefire, then opening fire on people returning to their houses, let alone the Wednesday attack on Mitiga Airport in Tripoli with six Grad rockets and the subsequent threats by Haftar’s spokesman to destroy civilian planes if they land in or take off from Mitiga.

Over ten days ago, the Presidential Council announced accepting a ceasefire in Tripoli as per the calls of Putin and Erdogan after the spokesman for Haftar’s militias Ahmed Al-Mismari had announced at midnight the start of a ceasefire truce in the western region.

The Putin-Erdogan call for ceasefire came in a meeting on January 08, when they both stressed that the warring parties in Libya should commit to the truce starting on January 12 and then resume the political process.

Tags
Back to top button
Close