The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Wednesday that its latest Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) had registered around 40,018 individuals who remained displaced after Storm Daniel made landfall in northeastern Libya on 11 September 2023 with some households reportedly moving back home.
“In Al-Marj, for example, many families who were forced out of their homes have returned. The number of damaged houses remains above 350. There are around 285 displaced individuals from Derna in the city of Almarj (and 800 individuals displaced in total).” The DTM report said.
Storm Daniel and ensuing floods hit eastern coastal cities, especially Derna, Al-Bayda and Al-Marj, on September 10 and 11. Two dams collapsed in Derna valley – an area locally known as Wadi Derna -, washing away entire neighborhoods and killing a number of entire families. The flood torrent obliterated around a quarter or the Mediterranean city of Derna, leaving thousands dead and missing.
The spokesman for the High Committee for Emergency and Rapid Response of the government designated by the House of Representatives (HoR), Mohammed El Jarih, announced on September 24 that 3,868 people had been officially registered as deaths caused by floods, saying in a press conference that this number would likely increase.