The Libyan National Oil Corporation (NOC) has said that in the last few days, there has been an illegal shipment of aviation fuel into Libya coming from the UAE directly to Benghazi.
The NOC added in a statement on its Facebook page on Monday that it had informed the United Nations and the Government of National Accord as well as numerous other governments of these clear violations to UN resolutions and Libyan laws by the UAE.
NOC indicated that the shipment of fuel into Benghazi port was a breach of the UN arms embargo relating to Libya, a contravention of the internationally agreed exclusivity of NOC relating to fuel imports, an infraction of the vessel quarantine protocol, and contrary to international law.
“The shipment came from the UAE to Benghazi on a ship called Gulf Petroleum 4 and has been in Benghazi port for a number of days.” NOC said.
It also cited a UAE commitment in September 2019 when it signed an international statement saying it was fully support Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC) as the country’s sole independent, legitimate and nonpartisan oil company.
At the time, the UAE said it was about time the national economic institutions had been consolidated rather than broken apart.
“For the sake of Libya’s political and economic stability, and the well-being of all its citizens, we exclusively support the NOC and its crucial role on behalf of all Libyans.” The UAE said, according to the NOC, yet it illicitly shipped fuel to Benghazi, where its man in Libya Khalifa Haftar is in control.
The UAE is the main military and political supporter for Haftar and his militias, especially in their ongoing aggression on Tripoli.
NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanalla commented on the UN arms embargo violation by the UAE, saying despite extreme hardships caused by illegal blockades on Libya’s oil facilities, NOC had been able to supply sufficient fuel to all parts of Libya, including the eastern regions to meet all civilian needs, including civil aviation.
“The only reason I can think of for additional fuel to be imported in this illegal and clandestine way is that it is intended for other purposes.” Sanalla added.
A UN-appointed mission to Libya said on Monday there are “probable mass graves” yet to be investigated, possibly as many as 100, in Tarhouna where