Libyan talks in Morocco between the High Council of State of the Government of National Accord anf the Tobruk-based House of Representatives have led to agreement on the need for compromise, Morocco’s MAP news agency reported Tuesday.
The talks came after the two sides announced a ceasefire last month. The ceasefire is also being constantly violated by Haftar’s militias as they fire Grad rockets at positions of GNA forces.
MAP, citing a joint statement at the end of the meetings, said the Libyan parties had agreed to work to eradicate corruption and the abuse of public funds in the country and to end its institutional divisions.
They had made “important compromises,” it said, without giving any specifics.
“The two parties hope to secure positive and concrete results that will clear the way to achieve the process of a comprehensive political settlement,” it added.
Abdessalam Al-Safraoui, heading the team from Tripoli, said Monday that the dialogue in the coastal town of Bouznika, south of Rabat, was focused on appointments at the top of Libya’s key institutions.
Dubbed the “Libyan Dialogue,” the talks that opened Sunday brought together five members of the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) and five from a parliament headquartered in the eastern city of Tobruk and supportive of warlord Haftar.