The commander of the Tripoli Military Zone General Abdelbasit Marwan said the announcement of the spokesman for Khalifa Haftar’s militias Ahmed Al-Mismari of a no-fly zone on Tripoli and his threats to destroy civilian planes are blindingly obvious violation of the ceasefire.
Marwan told Libya Alahrar TV that they are sure that the aggression forces won’t commit to the ceasefire, confirming that their forces are ready to repel any attacks and respond to the violations.
On Wednesday afternoon, the spokesman for Libya’s Army Mohammed Gununu has said that Khalifa Haftar’s militias have shelled Mitiga Airport in Tripoli with six Grad rockets so far this afternoon in a direct threat to air traffic.
On last Sunday, Gununu said that Khalifa Haftar’s militias had opened fire on Al-Khallatat frontline in southern Tripoli in a new violation of the ceasefire.
Gununu also said on last Saturday that pro-Haftar aircraft had carried out airstrikes on Abu Grein area between Sirte and Misrata in a new violation of the ceasefire, according to the media office of Burkan Al-Ghadab Operation.
The operation also explained over the last days that Haftar’s militias had been preventing the people trapped in the areas of clashes from leaving their houses and firing at anyone who tries to leave.
Despite Haftar’s lack of commitment to the ceasefire agreement, GNA forces are still respecting the truce and are ready to respond to any attack as per the rules of engagement.
Over ten days ago, the Presidential Council announced accepting a ceasefire in Tripoli as per the calls of Putin and Erdogan after the spokesman for Haftar’s militias Ahmed Al-Mismari had announced at midnight the start of a ceasefire truce in the western region.
The Putin-Erdogan call for ceasefire came in a meeting on January 08, when they both stressed that the warring parties in Libya should commit to the truce starting on January 12 and then resume the political process.