News

Turkey’s Foreign Minister says Egyptian Initiative for solution in Libya is “stillborn”

Turkey’s Foreign Minister said on Wednesday that the recent call by Egypt for a ceasefire in Libya was “stillborn.”

Speaking to local media in Turkey, Foreign Minister Mavlut Cavusoglu doubted the “sincerity” of the Cairo Declaration, citing recently intensified aggression against Libya’s UN-recognized government by putschist Khalifa Haftar, who is supported by Egypt.

He also questioned the current motives of Haftar, whom he said previously “refused all ceasefire efforts” but suddenly made a joint statement in favor of a truce with Egypt after recent advances by the government.

He also indicated that amid recent victories of the Government of National Accord (GNA), Egypt and Haftar are calling for a truce as Haftar began to lose on the ground.

“This is neither convincing nor sincere. Cease-fire efforts in Cairo are stillborn,” the Turkish Foreign Minister said, adding that if a consensus is reached on a platform where everyone comes together under the umbrella of the United Nations, that ceasefire will be credible and permanent.

Referring to earlier cease-fire efforts by Turkey and Russia, he said he spoke to his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov on Monday about Libya, and both countries agreed to hold political consultations on the issue.

“We clearly told them that we did not approve the Cairo Declaration and that we did not find it realistic or sincere, and therefore we will not support it. We will have talks with the Russians on Libya in the coming days.” The Foreign Minister added.

He also ruled out any role for Haftar in Libya’s future, asserting that he had lost such a chance by flouting previous ceasefires agreed in the past.

“Haftar became a pirate-like coup plotter. Of course, the Libyan people will decide, but such a person should not have a role in the Libyan administration because putschists should not be here. Haftar missed his opportunity,” he said.

Tags
Back to top button
Close