The Turkish Foreign Ministry has stressed that a permanent and comprehensive political solution in Libya could be achieved by deterring those who would seek faits accomplis through military means.
These remarks came in a response Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman Hami Aksoy to the statement of the Arab League on the situation in Libya.
“We would like to remind that the letter and spirit of UN Security Council Resolution 2259, primarily, intend to support and strengthen the Government of National Accord as the sole legitimate representative of Libya and call upon all UN members to act in this manner.” He said in a statement on Tuesday.
He said that it is obvious that the Arab League has remained silent and failed to decisively support international legitimacy against the months-long, foreign supported military offensive against Tripoli by Khalifa Haftar’s forces.
Aksoy reiterated that Turkey had been highlighting the necessity of an immediate and full ceasefire in order to reach a political solution in Libya.
In the meantime, the representative of Libya’s UN-recognized Government of National Accord to the Arab League accused Tuesday the Arab League of double standards on the conflict in Libya.
Saleh Al-Shammakhi said that Libya called upon the Arab League to review the aggression against Tripoli by Haftar’s forces but, the bloc had not responded.
The Arab League convened an emergency session behind closed doors and off the cameras, reiterating rejection of any form of foreign intervention in Libya and saying that the Libyan Political Agreement is the only basis for settling the crisis – saying no to military solutions.
In the wake of this meeting, the Libyan Foreign Minister Mohammed Sayala hailed the stances of Sudan, Qatar and the Arab Maghreb states that supported Libya at the Arab League.
Tuesday’s meeting on Libya – chaired by Iraq – is the first one for permanent representatives since 2011.
Meanwhile, the Arab League couldn’t approve the call of the Speaker of the House of Representatives (HoR) Aqiula Saleh for withdrawing legitimacy and recognition from the GNA, according to his statement to Saudi Arabia’s Al-Arabiya TV Channel, let alone the inaction by the Secretary General of the UN and the President of the African Union toward his letters in this regard.