The World Health Organization (WHO) has called on Libyan authorities to remain vigilant against the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Now is not the time to lower our guard. The low numbers being reported must not lull us into a false sense of security. Libya is in the early stages of the pandemic and has not yet reached the peak of infection,” Elizabeth Hoff, WHO representative in Libya, said in a statement released Sunday.
The WHO also recommended health authorities in Libya to increase testing capacity by establishing an additional laboratory in southern Libya and expand testing range to patients with influenza-like illness and severe acute respiratory infections.
“Adequate, regular supplies of testing kits will be essential. Improved disease surveillance and investigation — including in migrant populations — and contact tracing are also important tools to inform and drive the outbreak response,” the agency said.
The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Libya so far is 63, including 22 recoveries and three deaths, according to the National Center for Disease Control.
EU refutes UN accusation of facilitating abuse against immigrants in Libya
The European Union (EU) defended on Tuesday its record of helping to relieve the suffering of immigrants in Libya, after UN-backed investigators accused the EU