The commander of the Sirte-Jufra Operations Room of the Libyan Army under the command of the Government of National Accord (GNA), Ibrahim Baytelmal, has reiterated respect for the 5+5 Joint Military Commission, saying they are at the same time dismayed at the dubious movements of the other party – referring to Haftar’s militias.
Baytelmal told reporters Thursday that there are violations of the ceasefire agreement due to the massive number of Russian Wagner Group and Sudanese Janjaweed mercenaries near the lines of contact.
“Our trust in the other party has been shaky over the last period since the start of the implementation of the ceasefire agreement. This is because the other party hasn’t yet withdrawn mercenaries”. Baytelmal explained.
In the meantime, Baytelmal rejected more than once reopening Sirte-Misrata road before the withdrawal of mercenaries from Sirte and Jufra.
Baytelmal told reporters last week that the road between east and west Libya “won’t be reopened before the mercenaries are withdrawn”.
He reiterated that the ceasefire agreement points should be implemented, including the mandatory withdrawal of foreign mercenaries and clearance of mines, which will be accepted by the Sirte-Jufra Operations Room’s personnel after receiving maps for the mines’ locations.